莱斯特华人网 | LeicesterBBS

搜索
莱斯特华人网 | LeicesterBBS 论坛 新闻快递 | News 莱斯特:"101岁,今天我才变成老人" ...
查看: 1444|回复: 0
go

[本地消息] 莱斯特:"101岁,今天我才变成老人" [复制链接]

金钱
魅力
威望
积分
精华
帖子
1#
发表于 2008-2-16 13:25 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
[Leicester Mecury 英文报道 2月16日]

http://www.leicestermercury.co.u ... ;contentPK=19891468

TODAY'S THE DAY I BECAME AN OLD MAN, SAYS 101-YEAR-OLD ALBERT

10:30 - 16 February 2008

Albert Gregory raised a glass of his favourite whisky to toast his 101st birthday and said: "Today's the day I became an old man."

Albert, of Denton Rise, in Melton, still enjoys a glass of his favourite whisky most days.

Widower, Albert, who has lived in Melton all his life, spent most of his time around horses, rubbing shoulders with royalty and the rich and famous at Warwick Lodge when it was one of the town's many hunting lodges.

Among those he chauffeured in his time working at the lodge with the horses was King Edward VIII and Lord Astor at a time when hunting was in its heyday in the area.

He said; "I was more or less all my working life with horses.

"It was all horses then and they were used for different jobs. My father had horses and he used to break them in for people."

Albert's father, Charles, was a vet in the town when the family used to live next to the Harboro' Hotel, in Burton Street.

Albert's nephew, Robin Gregory, who lives with him, said: "He drove for the Prince of Wales, Lord Astor and Lord Graves. He would chauffeur them to London and various race meetings, staying in the best hotels.

"In his later years, he worked for Major Victor Smith, at Upper Broughton.

Unfortunately, Albert's wife, Madge, had an accident at home and Albert used to visit her in Warwick Lodge, which was by then a nursing home."

Albert and his wife had two children, Peter, who has since died, and Wendy, who lives in Melton.
‹ 上一主题|下一主题
你需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 註 冊

Archiver| Leicester BBS

GMT, 2024-9-21 17:03