精华
帖子
1#
发表于 2008-9-7 12:32 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
[Leicester Mercury 英文报道 9月5日]

http://www.leicestermercury.co.u ... &pNodeId=132393

HIGHCROSS IS FANTASTIC!

10:30 - 05 September 2008

More than 125,000 people poured through the city's £350 million shopping centre on its first day.

Highcross Leicester was packed from morning until night with eager shoppers and sightseers.

Spectacular celebrations drew huge crowds and shop tills were ringing non-stop as customers spent their cash.

Highcross centre manager Tom Nathan said: "It's absolutely fantastic. We knew we were going to be busy, we knew there were going to be huge numbers, but you're never quite sure what's going to happen."

People gazed into Japanese restaurant YO! Sushi at the conveyor belt of food, which travelled more than 110 miles during the day.

The number of chopsticks used there and in Wagamama restaurant would have stretched for over a mile and over two-and-a-half miles of noodles were sold.

Council leader Ross Willmott said: "It has been the most extraordinary day.

"Just watching the expressions of wonder on people's faces is amazing. I think all of us have achieved something here that is even better than we expected. This is a proud moment in the city's history."

By 3pm, John Lewis said takings were 45 per cent ahead of expectations and more than 4,000 transactions had been made.

The first sale, of a £150 ladies coat, was made by telephone before the store opened - while copies of games console accessory Wii Fit sold out in the first 15 minutes.

Amanda Dammers, managing director of John Lewis Leicester, said: "It's surpassed all our expectations.

"Customers did actually run in to the store. The shop has been packed and there's been a really good buzz."

Highcross has provided 2,000 jobs, many for local people. Before landing a position at John Lewis, Chantelle Coltman, 24, from Beaumont Leys, was an unemployed single mum on benefits.

She said: "This means a lot to me. It's been a really great atmosphere today."

Sara Bullock, 37, from Quorn, and her friends were among the first to charge into John Lewis.

She said: "It's very nice. We love John Lewis. It's all lovely."

Rick Moore, chairman of Leicester Shire Economic Partnership, said: "I'm Leicester born and bred and I think today is an extraordinarily special day.

"I just hope we can build on it to move forward. We need to keep the momentum going."

Leicester's Lord Mayor, Manjula Sood, said: "I feel very proud. It's a brilliant achievement for Leicester. It's amazing to see all the crowds."

The centre opened on the day Leicester was named one of the best places in Britain to do business. The city rose 54 places to 27th in the annual UK Competitiveness Index survey.

No major traffic problems were reported yesterday. In the evening, hundreds of people gathered to see a parade through the city, followed by a dazzling light show.

There was also considerable interest in the Leicester Mercury website with 4,000 people logging on to read our coverage of the opening day.
‹ 上一主题|下一主题
你需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 註 冊

Archiver| Leicester BBS

GMT, 2024-5-22 01:18