精华
帖子
1#
发表于 2008-1-27 14:48 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
[Leicester Mercury 英文报道 1月27日]

用金属探测器找到的...

http://www.leicestermercury.co.u ... ;contentPK=19669252

LOST AFTER A LOVERS' TIFF IN 1941. FOUND IN 2008

When Violet Booth lost her engagement ring in a field almost 70 years ago, she never dreamed she ever had a chance of getting it back.

Following a "silly tiff" with her fiance, Samuel, in 1941, just months before they were due to wed, she threw the diamond ring into a field in Gilmorton, where they were out walking.

After a frantic search, the childhood sweethearts resigned themselves to thinking it was gone for good, and bought another ring before their November wedding.

So when Violet's grandson Leighton Boyes decided to search with a metal detector at the weekend, the 88-year-old tried not to get her hopes up.

However, after two hours, she got the phone call she had been hoping for - he had found the ring in perfect condition.

Violet, who lives in Thurmaston, could not hold back the tears as she put the ring back on for the first time, and says it is the perfect way to remember her husband, who sadly died 15 years ago.

She said: "I was in such a state when we couldn't find it. Samuel didn't tell me off, he wasn't like that. We got a new one but it's not the same, is it?

"I suppose I just stopped thinking about it after a while. I didn't ever think I would see it again. I couldn't believe it when Leighton brought it back. It's amazing.

"I was very emotional and I shed a few tears. It's certainly brought back a few memories. It's something to remember Samuel by - he was a very nice man.

"It's just unbelievable that I've got it back. I can't stop looking at it. It means a lot to me."

Leighton, who lives in Mowmacre Hill, Leicester, says it only took two hours to unearth the ring after he started his search on Sunday.

The 33-year-old said: "It's pretty bizarre. I do metal detecting as a hobby, so I just suggested having a look to find it, although, truthfully, I thought the chances were really very slim.

"I went round to my nana's with some maps and she managed to pinpoint the field. I got permission from the landowner and went out.

"I never expected to find it. The farmer said other people had used metal detectors in the field, plus, with modern-day ploughing, I wasn't expecting anything.

"I dug up a whole load of things before I found it. It was only buried about three to four inches down. It wasn't damaged either - I just gave it a wipe, and that was it.

"My nan was in absolute bits when I gave it to her. It was lovely - she's so chuffed."

Violet is keeping the ring safe in a box, but says it fits her little finger now.

Her son, Andrew, who lives with her, says he is only sorry that his dad did not live to see the ring again.

He said: "I remember hearing all about the tale of this ring, and I remember going with my mum and dad to the spot when I was younger.

"I can't believe it's okay, but I suppose with it being gold, it doesn't tarnish. It just makes you think about all the things that have happened while it has been lying there.

"It's wonderful, although I suppose there is some sadness to the story. We all wish dad could have been here to see it as well."

金钱
魅力
威望
积分
精华
帖子
2#
发表于 2008-1-27 18:53 |只看该作者

金钱
魅力
威望
积分